Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Back to the Bush...

Well,

If you are reading this you must be a friend of mine or family member... I decided to move to Mountain Village, Alaska last week after much deliberation. I will keep my condo, car, truck and motorcycle in Anchorage but spend most of my time in the Bush. I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly, but it will be an adventure, that much I know.
I wonder sometimes if I'm even fit for normal society. I love Anchorage and have a million friends, don't get me wrong! I worked as a consultant to educators, administrators, and professionals around the state for two years. I talked the talk, smoozed at parties, wore a suit, and enjoyed life... but was it really me? Who am I? Have you asked yourself that lately? I do... often.
I have had the pleasure of a conversation or two with "sourdoughs" and Alaska Native Elders over the years. I love a good story. I think about them often: crab fishing in the Bering Sea, Bush flying, hunting remote wilderness areas, and working on "the Slope" to name a few.
"What's my story?" I wonder... here goes.
Today I bought a sweet Polaris 550 SS 133" single-seater. Set me back a few dollars, but hey, guys gotta eat out there, and there is a moose opener in January. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the read. I have asked myself "who am I? "lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have signed up, I will continue to read the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wise woman by the name of Elisabeth Elliot wrote, "In order to learn what it means to be a woman, we must first start with the One who made her". I believe its equally true about a man and answers the "Who am I" question. I only say that because I thought of that too and the only thing I came up with was to ask myself another question..."Who does God say that I am" and I found the answers to that question :) And whenever I start to feel bad about myself...I pull out my journal and read what God says about me :)

    ReplyDelete