Popular Posts

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bush Life

I love the classic Jeff Foxworthy and I think it's time for a comeback. Whoever this next comedian is, I think they should do a "You might be Alaskan if..." or maybe "You might be from the Bush if..." 

Yesterday I realized that I left Marshall School in a four by four truck, hopped on a Cessna 207 airplane, landed in St. Mary's, drove a snow mobile to Mountain Village, then took my ATV to the office to finish out the day. "You might be from the Bush if... You ride a truck, plane, snogo, and four-wheeler on your way to the office."

I love the Bush, I genuinely do. My water has been on for a week or so now, which is phenomenal. I am blessed with a great job and work with amazing educators. I have a warm home and have wealth beyond measure in my friends and family. I thank God every day for my health and for meeting my every need. I love that the world I live in is beautiful, serene, and so vast it scares me. 

Most people in big cities sit in an hour of traffic a day, at least. You could be in deadly accident at any time. I fly in Bush planes, ride ATVs, and cruise the frozen Yukon at 80 mph. I like my commute... 

"You might be from the Bush if..." 

1 comment:

  1. You might be from the Bush if you are willing to ride in a sled behind a sno-go to the next village to make a plane because the weather is down in your village... primarily because you haven't been to the road system for five months and you think it about time. You might also be from the Bush if after said sno-go trip you arrive soaking wet due to hitting slushy overflow just minutes from your destination airport, and you begin rummaging through your bags for dry clothes in the midst of curious onlookers prior to checking your luggage. You might very well be from the Bush if all this doesn't phase you in the least because your house had no heat and no water when you left this morning, and you figure almost anything will be a nice vacation.

    ReplyDelete