Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Was Born A Travelling Man

I was reflecting on the idea that travel is a big part of my life for a reason. It is enlightening, empowering and, dare I say, emancipating... While staring at the stars hoping for the aurora borealis a few nights ago I pondered the idea of my freedom from the slavery of the mundane. I choose to live differently. I choose to live without rules. I work hard and play hard. I own my destiny.

"Why is this so?" I thought. Is it because I've read Fight Club or other Chuck Palahniuk books too many times? Or maybe it's because I took the Matrix too seriously. It could just be the bizarre alchemy of my parent's chromosomes surfacing in the personality my adulthood. But I think it's because I have flown or driven to so many places. I have met people from a multitude of cultures and learned more from them than I would ever have imagined. The beauty of this statement is that the more I travel and the more I learn, the more I want to see and the more I realize I don't know!

Rolling into another Alaskan February I often fantasize about warm beaches; sometimes Thailand, sometimes Jamaica. With Alaska Air I can get to Puerto Vallarta for only 35,000 miles! "What am I doing at my desk at 12:09 on a school night, then?" you ask. I honestly don't know.

Well, to put a bow on this dribbling mumbo-jumbo I thought about the concept of travel to most people: travel equals vacation. The problem here is that vacation does not always equal travel. I think we should all travel more. If you can get paid to do it, like me, more power to you! I've been to about 65 towns and villages just in Alaska... and got paid to do it! What do I want to do for my vacations? You guessed it: TRAVEL! I work to travel. I work to take vacations. I take vacations to travel. You get the picture.

So... where have you been? Or better yet, where are you going?

2 comments:

  1. First, I do admit, I have less passion as you for traveling however, still something I would like to do. I would most definitely like to go to New Zealand someday. I do agree with you that the more you see, well for me, the more I realize I'm missing. There is the rest of the world out there besides the USA that God has made and I would love to see it. Italy, France, and Germany would be amazing as well. But I think I would rather travel to places that weren't hot spots where everyone goes. For instance, I don't want to go where everyone goes for Spring Break...wherever that is. For heat and beach time, not sure where I would go...but I do think what makes or breaks a trip is who you are there with. Granted, you will always still have the experience of being at the given location and seeing everything but how the memory sits in your head I feel is a direct correlation to whom you spend it with.

    Oh, i know where I'm going Puerto Vallarta!!! i joke :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. London also is up there with New Zealand :)

    ReplyDelete